Friday, December 5, 2014

How Powerful Writing is in Achieving Goals





I knew this was going to be an important document.  There is a power in manifesting one's goals through writing it down and outlining the specific steps to achieve them.  This is the Personal Statement for the School of MBM at Saybrook University (Spring 2015) that I wrote to gain admittance into the graduate school:


My own crisis, feeling burnt out from work and life lead me to develop a consistent yoga and meditation practice where I now appreciate the wholeness of being myself.  For the past few years I have kept my radar on a graduate school I resonated with.  In 2013, I attended a 10-day Vipassana silent course where I meditated silently for 100 hours.  I was also awarded the only scholarship, in my class, for the Fall 2013 Open Space Yoga Teacher Training program.  At the same time, I met Aimee, currently a PH.D student in your Psychology program, and she told me about Saybrook.  After many conversations with her, filled with questions and excitement, I knew that Saybrook University was the graduate school that I resonated with.  Saybrook is the right fit.
Working with inmates, those with substance abuse problems, individuals in crisis, and those with domestic violence issues taught me that service plans and interventions could benefit from re-construction from what is traditionally provided.  Talk therapy is not enough.  A highlight of my professional career was on a program called Stress Reduction, where I taught inmates in an Oahu prison to use guided imagery, neuro-linguistic programming (NLP), deep relaxation, cognitive, behavioral, solution focused, and self-hypnosis techniques for stress reduction and to encourage continued use of these skills for their life-long wellness.  On that program I was trained and supervised by two licensed counselors and state licensed hypnotherapists.  Since then, I continued to nurture a passion and curiosity to educate myself on the science and techniques I taught to others in the Stress Reduction program.  Currently, as a full-time Domestic Violence Counselor Advocate for those that used violence and as a part-time Yoga Teacher my thoughts about the future as a professional helper has continued to encourage me to increase my knowledge in mind body medicine.
    I like the School of MBM and the online hybrid learning model because my approach to learning is unconventional and holistic.  Unconventional because I love the idea of attending residential conferences, a few times a year and learning at my own pace – there is feeling of freedom that attracts me to this.  I work best when given the opportunity to work, independently, creating a study schedule where I function at my most optimum; but, at the same time have the opportunity to interact with my professors and colleagues.  Most human problems are mentally and emotionally caused.   So, I strongly believe in approaching human problems from a holistic lens, treating the whole person, factoring mental, emotional, social, and physical symptoms which mind body medicine plays a significant role in self-healing.  Also, I enjoy that part of your program gives me the opportunity to balance my educational, personal, and professional life simultaneously.  My intention is to work part-time, in the field of social work and teach yoga because helping others has always been a part of my professional pathway as I engage in my studies as a student at your school.
I believe that attending the School of MBM will increase my awareness, motivation, and support necessary to further my career and self-development because I am going to surround myself with professors with extensive knowledge and experience in their field, to connect with other students with similar and unique beliefs, and to complete graduate course work that will nourish and nurture my intellectual development of complementary and alternative medicine.
My primary goals, upon graduating from the School of MBM is to become a state certified hypnotherapist, to have completed advanced yoga training and become Para Yoga certified, and potentially apply for a PH.D program that meets my educational and career pathway.  Moreover, given the demand and funding, I am to collaborate, either through direct employment or by contracting my services to specifically support underserved populations, especially those impacted negatively by PTSD and trauma that reside in, but not limited to the following: high poverty level communities, homeless shelters, military bases, jails, and recovery and treatment facilities.  I have work experience, as my resume communicates, with most of these populations.  
       I would love to also positively impact those in the following groups as well: low socioeconomic status, professional helpers, first responders, elderly and seniors, children/teen, veterans, and those with disabilities. I want to advocate to others that there are ways to heal oneself, without medication –first, as I have learned to heal myself with complementary and alternative medicine. By default, I will be nourished with my studies in the School of MBM where I will have the opportunity to promote a continuous exploration of my own self-growth and self-development. I am very happy, passionate, and filled with eager joy to be considered as a student for your School of MBM at your university. 

No comments:

Post a Comment